The past 2 weeks have been quite eventful for our family, and for the nation of Japan. On March 11, 2011 a magnitude 9 earthquake, followed by tsunami on the east coast of the northern half of Japan, has left tens of thousands dead or missing, and caused hundreds of thousands to flee to makeshift evacuation centres.
Here are ways to be praying for Japan:
- Pray for those who have lost loved ones in the disasters, or whose loved ones are still missing.
- Pray for those that lost their home due to the earthquakes, tsunami, fires, etc.
- Pray for those who have been traumatized by these events, particularly children.
- Pray for those who are still lacking in adequate safe water, food, fuel, and medical care.
- Pray for those who are involved in many ways to provide relief and aide that they would have continued safety and health.
- Pray for the churches that have turned into evacuation centres and aide distribution centres, that they can shine God’s love and hope in the midst of pain and hopelessness.
- Pray that the workers who are focused on bringing the nuclear crisis in the power plants in Fukushima under control. Pray that solutions can be found for the myriads of issues. Pray for the safety of the workers who are risking their lives.
- Pray that the people of Japan will turn to God as their source of hope and salvation.
- Pray for the Christians of Japan, that we would be able to mobilize relief efforts and provide for people’s need, both physical and spiritual. Pray for the impact this is having on regular ministries, that Christians would be able to help their neighbours to remain calm, and that we would be able to provide comfort for the grieving.
- Pray that God’s Spirit would move across this land, turning hearts to him, providing comfort, peace and hope in this difficult time.
Asian Access is working with a network of hundreds of churches across Japan to help meet the spiritual and physical needs in hard hit communities. We are also working in conjunction with CRASH (Christian Relief, Assistance, Support, Hope), which has grown into the largest Christian relief coordinating agency in Japan. (www.crashjapan.com)
You can help directly through the Asian Access Japan Tsunami Relief Fund. (asianaccess.org)